Open Call for “TUKANG – Selangor Craftsmanship Festival 2022”
Tourism Selangor is seeking artists, designers, craftspeople (tukang) or other organizations to take part in our TUKANG-Selangor Craftsmanship Festival 2022 – bringing new ideas and innovative products in contemporary local crafts.
TUKANG refers to skilled craftspeople in producing traditional art forms that symbolizes an identity of a cultural heritage.
The aims of this project are to:
• To foster an understanding and respect in the diversity of human cultures and heritages by connecting contemporary artists and traditional craftspeople.
• The ability to apply traditional crafts assimilating with contemporary art aesthetic principles in order to make it relevant with current needs.
• To be able to commercialize these products as a cultural identity for Selangor Tourism.
What Tourism Selangor provides:
• Each successful applicant will receive RM10,000 for the production of the artwork or product.
• Exhibition opportunity in “TUKANG Selangor Craftmanship Festival” venue
• Promotion of your product/artwork through Tourism Selangor website, social media channels and databases.
• To collaborate with local craftspeople to create a/or series of artwork(s)/product(s) embodying local traditions. Priority is given to those who collaborate with Selangor based craft maker.
• Artwork(s)/product(s) should demonstrate a balance of content and design, as well as a mastery of materials.
• To schedule and be present for 2 studio visit interviews (work in progress).
• To provide title, dimensions, sale price, an image of each work and biographical/contextual info to be included in the catalogue.
• To conduct a 2 hour workshop during the festival
• To install and de-install artworks/ products at the “TUKANG-Selangor Craftsmanship Festival 2022” venue (date will be informed later).
• Submit a final and budget report after TUKANG-Selangor Craftmanship Festival 2022
Programme & Timeline:
|12 May 2022||Call for Entries|
|19 May & 2 June 2022
|Online Workshop: “How to write artist applications for TUKANG Selangor Open Calls”
To register, click HERE .
|12 June 2022||Deadline Submission|
|Mid of June||Second interview for shortlisted applicants (Face to face)|
|End of June||Announcement of successful applicants|
|July – September||Execution & Production|
|28 September||Submission of artwork/product|
|October||Delivery date/ Artwork/product installation on “TUKANG Selangor Craftsmanship Festival 2022” venue|
|November||Final and budget report submission|
• This project is divided into two categories:
i) Individual and
ii) Group entries.
• Open to Malaysian citizens over the age of 18 years old.
• Non-Malaysian citizens are allowed only through group entries with 5 people (max.).
• Applicants must be able to receive taxable income for the duration of the grant and report this grant as an income.
Applications are required to provide full contact details, curriculum vitae (CV) of individuals and project leader (for groups/ organization). Please submit the completed proposal templates by Sunday, 12th June 2022.
Applications are reviewed by staff of Tourism Selangor and evaluated by a panel of jurors using the following criteria to evaluate each application:
• The comtemporary craft products can reflect the culture, inherited skills, knowledge and shows the beauty of heritage.
• The product has potential to be commercialized
Appropriation and Reimbursement
Production funding will be approved and disseminated in two (2) installments:
1st installment: 40% will be issued in early July 2022
2nd installment: 60% will be issued upon submission for the final report.
For further inquiries or email submissions, please email us at [email protected] .Or, call at +6011 6366 8098 (Ms. Ng) from 10am to 12pm and 2pm to 4pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).